Primary Teacher Training
GLF Teacher Training aims to train the best primary school teachers in Surrey and beyond.
By being based in a school from day one of your training you will be able to immerse yourself in the job and get to know your host school and pupils really well. Being part of the school community gives you access to all the support and guidance that you will need in your first step into teaching.
We currently offer two routes into teaching in the Primary phase:
Ages 3-7 - This course will focus on the teaching of children aged 3-7, which includes Nursery, Reception and Key Stage 1. During your time on the course, you will experience each aspect of this age range and receive training tailored to teaching these stages.
Ages 5-11 - This course will focus on the teaching of children aged 5-11, which includes experience at both Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2. Your training will be tailored to prepare you to teach both key stages.
Within our school based training programme we offer two routes into teaching, depending on your circumstances.
- SCITT core: self funded with the help of student loans
- School Direct salaried: you earn a salary whilst you train
Both routes lead to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and also offer the ability to study for a PGCE, should you wish.
Following a successful interview, we will provide advice and guidance to ensure you embark on the best route for you, taking into account your experience and performance in the recruitment process.
SCITT core (fee-funded):
This course provides school-led training which offers you a more gradual introduction to teaching with extensive opportunities for lesson observation and co-teaching, as you begin to develop your teaching expertise.
SCITT core courses are funded through tuition fees. You may be eligible for a maintenance grant or special support, but this will be determined by the Student Loan Company when applications for tuition fee loans are made. You can also opt to pay the fee independently of financial support.
- £8,000 tuition fees
- Option for an additonal PGCE uplift qualification at £1,250
- Funded by student loans or independently
- A gradual increase of teaching hours over the year
Please select our Fees and Finance page for more information about funding and bursaries.
School Direct salaried:
This is an employment based route open to high quality graduates, typically with at least a minimum of 2 years' transferable work history. You will be employed by a school as an unqualified teacher whilst you learn on the job.
- No tuition fees payable (your placement school covers the cost of your training)
- Earn an unqualified teacher's salary as you train
- Option for an additonal PGCE qualification (£2,000)
- Gradual increase in teaching hours over the year but as a unqualified teacher there is a faster progression towards teaching classes than via the tuition fee route.
- Scholarships may be available for priority subjects
For more information, please visit our FAQs page.